Another Surgery Day's Experiences


Because Leana's case was the less major of the two surgeries her surgeon performed yesterday, it was second, being scheduled for noon. In ways it gave us a more relaxing morning, but was also more challenging because of having many more waking hours to keep Leana happy while fasting. 


Stress built as her surgery was delayed and delayed, but we sensed prayers strongly as Leana did amazingly well despite having not eaten anything for 18 hours. She finally went in close to 3:00.


Her surgery went without any complications, and we were able to see her in recovery room about 2-1/2 hours later. She did not have to go to ICU this time, which was a huge plus. She was awake when we saw her, and a little sad, but soon fell back asleep. As it was going to be 90 minutes before she went to her ward, the nurses suggested we go for supper as she was resting well. This was nice in a small way, but I found it hard to relax, wondering if Leana was awake and needing me.

My suspicious were confirmed when we got to her room to find an inconsolable baby that had been screaming for 20 minutes. She calmed down immediately when I got there, but I felt so, SO bad that I not been there for her when she needed me. Situations like this are tough - there are definitely times when you need to step out, but it's always a guessing game when is the appropriate time to leave and how quickly to rush it. 


The rest of the evening was pretty good for her, but around 10:00 she starting reacting to some of the pain meds. I guess a common side effect is very itchy skin, and it's hit her hard - especially in her eyes. Poor baby - she didn't sleep from midnight to around 7:00am, while I tried everything I could think of to help her, and the nurse juggled meds trying to make her comfortable. 

There are no words to describe the helplessness I felt. Watching your baby suffer so much, combined with physical and emotional exhaustion made me feel nearly as needy as her. It was a good reminder to me of my need for God's grace, not just when I feel I desperately need it, but all the time!


This morning she's been amazingly alert and active, despite her lack of sleep. She's still suffering with her itchy eyes, but has been sitting up in bed and playing with toys. SO much different than her heart surgery. All that said, this incision cut a lot more muscle that her heart surgery, and will be a more painful recovery. She's had an epidural block up until now, which will be coming out shortly. It should help her itchiness, but I think she will also be a lot more sore.


The doctors are optimistic that she will be released tomorrow. That would be wonderful! Her stroller will become invaluable after that time. We are tentatively planning on traveling to Victoria for our anniversary, (ferry ride away) and she likes nothing better when she is not feeling well than to be pushed around and see things. It's a double bonus that it reclines for sleeping and is literally her home away from home! Nothing could be more ideal than our location, weather, and the time slot between her release and follow-up appointment. 

I'll try and update again tomorrow. 

1 comments:

  1. Wow, Andrea! That's a lot to go through for all of you. Please keep us updated and we'll be praying.

    ReplyDelete

 
Manitoba Musings Blog Design by Ipietoon