Grumpy Met His Match

It was one of those mornings where everything seemed to be going wrong in my little world. Notice I said seemed.

You know, one of those days where the most random things that never were a big deal before are mountains of irritation under your skin. One little thing piles on top of another, until your whole spirit is just an unsettled mess of quick retorts and sarcasm ready to spill out. A crabby baby is added to the mix, and you really wonder if it would've been best for everyone if you stayed in bed all day rather than getting grumpy up and walking about. Yeah, I'm talking about me. It was one of those days where I looked at myself and wondered where I had come from and who I had turned into overnight. It was scary.

In my single days, I would've grabbed up my journal and Bible, and headed to the back hill for some alone and regrouping time, or at the least, up to the undisturbed quiet of my room. This wasn't an option this time. Wife and motherhood does that, ya know. Instead, I had to face this monster inside of me during the thick of the battle.

As I prayed for grace to handle the inner turmoil which was making my current circumstances so disturbing, God stopped me in my tracks with a whispered emphasis on that very word I just breathed out. Grace. 

I had been thinking on that concept that very morning while reading in Galatians, and had even been prompted to look up the definition. 

Summed up, it is:

'Favor and acceptance, given freely by God, motived not by our righteousness, but by HIS character.' 

So, in short, God's merciful kindness on my life was not deserved, His current favor can never be earned, and His future grace I will never be worthy of. I have grace and favor on my life because of who Christ is, not because of who I am. In essence, God IS grace, and can give nothing less.

Then came the prompting to apply that to the irritations I was dealing with. While I was praying for grace, God asked me to give grace. What did grace look like in this situation? A merciful kindness and longsuffering bestowed where it was not (in my mind) deserved. And you know what, when I submitted those prickles under my sin to the Lordship of Christ, asking for HIS grace to flow through me, all of a sudden those irritations seemed so petty and childish. 

So what if my socks got soaked from an unnecessary puddle of water on the kitchen floor. So what if the tub drain is plugged and I have to stand ankle deep in dirty water. So what if the bedroom stinks from the forgotten dirty socks under the bed. So what if I accidentally broke the coffee pot and brown liquid covers my counter. Grace doesn't let those things ruin my day. Grace remembers who I was, who I am in Christ, and who God is molding me to be through Him. 

"Lord, make a graceful person, giving out freely to every person and circumstance that comes my way." 

1 comments:

  1. Very good and encouraging thoughts! Thank you for sharing one of those not-so-beautiful moments...we all have them! It has been a blessing to see God faithfully guide your family through your daughter's surgery and I appreciated hearing the lessons you were learning about trust throughout that. You all were in my prayers and I'm so thankful she is well now!
    (I first "met" you through your Hidden Wisdom subscriber's article many years ago.... :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Manitoba Musings Blog Design by Ipietoon