The beautiful hospital grounds. 
Pre-Op appointments are behind us. Yeah. It was a much, much bigger and more exhausting day than I had anticipated, with lots of information to digest. I had kind of been expecting around four hours at the hospital, not eight. Couple that with a two hour time change, an exhausted mama, and a baby that has a hard time falling asleep in strange places, and certain parts were a little interesting.

We discovered a life-saver, though. Celery sticks. Leana loves them. (Thanks, Amanda!) It keeps her entertained for so long as she practices using those two little teeth of hers. Melba Toast was quite popular in her opinion as well. :-)

We are SO glad we brought her stroller!
The day started with meeting one of the cardiac nurses. We felt comfortable with her right away, and as the day progressed with visiting with the surgeon, anesthesiologist, more nurses, and coordinators, our opinion of the BC Children's hospital grew. They have all been so incredibly kind, caring, compassionate, and supportive. I told Joel that they act like Leana is the most important patient they have. For medical staff that sees thousands of children, I think this takes a special sort of person to make you feel so personal and cared for.

Many, many tests followed. She got another Echo, an EKG, chest x-ray, and bloodwork. She did amazingly well for how little she napped that day, and charmed everyone she met.

Here is the nurse pointing out the hole during her Echo.
What a trooper!
Her chest x-ray. We didn't know  whether
 to laugh or cry. She did so great though!
The doctor did speak with us about one major concern he has with her, and this would be our biggest prayer request right now. She has been almost completely asymptomatic with this heart condition, which as crazy as it sounds, is not desirable. He said that he would rather see a child come in that's not healthy looking, not gaining weight, and not thriving, than this pink, chubby, happy baby that Leana is. The reason being, with the size of hole in her heart, (quite large) the lack of symptoms means something else in her body is compensating. In this case, it's her lungs, and the pressure there is rather high which can lead to complication during and after the surgery.Worst case scenario sounds like extra time on the ventilator, (which carries a lot more risks in itself) and being on medication for the next 3-6 months to bring the pressure back down.

Her surgery is scheduled for Monday morning at 7:40. (Pacific Time) We have to be at the hospital an hour before. It should take around 3-4 hours, and they are expecting we will be with her again by noon. She will be spending 1-2 days in the PICU, and then providing all is looking well, be transferred to the cardiac children's ward for the next 3-4 days. It's then sounding like we will be discharged with her, but asked to stay in the area for an additional few days for a follow-up appointment.

Those are all the nitty gritty details. Quite honestly, everything yesterday was a LOT to handle, in both a physical and emotional sense. We are grateful that some of Joel's extended family has opened their home to us over the weekend, and we are looking forward to, and needing some time to relax and take our mind off things. More on that later one!

Thanks again for all of you who are praying for us and our little girl as we walk through this. It means more than you'll ever realize!


  1. It's good to hear you're in such good care at the hospital--with people who really seam to care. Most of all, in the good care of the Father. You'll be in our prayers this evening...which should be around surgery time on your side of the world.


Manitoba Musings Blog Design by Ipietoon